You are here

Federal Grants

The U.S. Department of Education's Office of Federal Student Aid offers a variety of federal grants to students attending four-year universities. All of the federal grants awarded by Temple University are awarded to students with financial need.  To apply for federal grants a student must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). 

Federal Pell Grants

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. (In some cases, however, a student enrolled in a post baccalaureate teacher certification program might receive a Federal Pell Grant.) The amount of any other student aid for which you might qualify does not affect the amount of your Federal Pell Grant. 


  • Amounts can change yearly. The maximum Federal Pell Grant award is $5,645 for the 2013–14 award year (July 1, 2013 to June 30, 2014). The amount a student receives depends on financial need, cost of attendance, and enrollment status per semester.
  • A student can receive the Federal Pell Grant for no more than 12 semesters or the equivalent. Students will receive a notice if you’re getting close to your limit.
  • If your parent or guardian was a member of the U.S. armed forces and died as a result of military service performed in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, you may be eligible for additional Federal Pell Grant funds if, at the time of your parent’s or guardian’s death, you were less than 24 years of age or enrolled in college or career school at least part-time. If you meet these requirements and are eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant, your Expected Family Contribution (EFC) will be changed to zero, which maximizes your Federal Pell Grant amount and can increase your eligibility for all federal student aid programs. Payments are adjusted if you are enrolled less than full-time. If you meet those requirements but aren’t eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant due to your EFC being too high, you might be able to get an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant.
  • You are not eligible to receive a Federal Pell Grant if you are incarcerated.
  • You may not receive Federal Pell Grant funds from more than one school at a time

federal supplemental educational opportunity grant

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOGs) are awarded to undergraduates with exceptional financial need. Priority is given to students receiving Federal Pell Grants. 

  • The FSEOG does not need to be repaid.
  • FSEOG is awarded to students with exceptional financial need.
  • Temple University receives a certain amount of FSEOG funds each year from the U.S. Department of Education’s office of Federal Student Aid. Once the full amount of the school’s FSEOG funds has been awarded to students, no more FSEOG awards can be made for that year.  In other words, FSEOG funds are first come, first served. This system works differently from the Federal Pell Grant Program, which provides funds to every eligible student. 

Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education Grant

Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program that provides grants of up to $4,000 per year to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families.

Because of the stringent service requirements of the grant (see below), Temple University feels it is not in the best interest of students to participate in this program.

"In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students. 

As a recipient of a TEACH Grant, you must teach for at least four academic years within eight calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant. IMPORTANT: If you fail to complete this service obligation, all amounts of TEACH Grants that you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Direct Loan funding. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education. You will be charged interest from the date the grant(s) was disbursed."

Learn more about the TEACH grant at the U.S. Department of Education website.