You are here

Study Abroad

Students interested in study abroad opportunities should review the Temple University Education Abroad and Overseas Campuses website for helpful process and scholarship information. Students in good academic standing that file the FAFSA will be considered for financial aid.

Temple Students on Temple Abroad Programs

If you are studying on a Temple study abroad program, you may use Temple, federal and state financial aid: loans, grants, even outstanding achievement scholarships. Applying for and receiving financial aid for a Temple study abroad program abroad works almost the same as it would if you were studying at any of Temple’s campuses. One difference is that the Study Abroad office supplies budgets to Student Financial Services (SFS) for all study abroad programs, and if you are accepted into a Temple study abroad program, we always recommend you bring a copy of your study abroad acceptance letter to SFS. SFS will review your financial aid package based on the budget for the study abroad program you will be attending. Your aid package may be adjusted to reflect any possible increased cost difference.

  • Semester/Academic Year Study Abroad             
    • Make sure to complete your FAFSA early in the calendar year. If you are eligible, SFS will notify you of your financial aid award and post your aid to your account in the same way as if you were taking courses at any of Temple's campuses.
    • Sign-up for direct deposit in the TUportal (Student Tools tab) to ensure refunds are efficiently processed.
    • A limited number of work-study positions are available at Temple University Rome.
  • Summer Study Abroad
    • In order to be considered for summer financial aid, students  must meet the federal and university aid eligibility requirements. NOTE- A student's Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is reviewed after spring semester grades are posted and can impact summer financial aid eligibility.    
    • The is no undergraduate student summer financial aid application. In order for summer financial aid awards to be processed, the Study Abroad office will submit a list to SFS of all pre-registered students that plan to study abroad. Summer financial aid awards will begin to be processed in early April and continue throughout the summer. 
    • Visit the Summer Financial Aid section for more information.

Temple Students on Non-Temple Abroad Programs

Temple students studying on a non-Temple University study abroad program will still be able to use their federal and state aid, and in many cases, their Temple financial aid. Students must choose a non-Temple program that has been approved by the Study Abroad office, their major department(s), and their academic advising office. In addition, students must obtain the financial aid Consortium Agreement and complete in order to have their financial aid transferred to a study abroad program sponsored by another university. The consortium agreement must be forwarded to the non-Temple study abroad program for completion and then submitted back to SFS along with the student’s completed "Approval to Study Abroad on a non-Temple Program" form. This form is available on the Study Abroad website. NOTE: Students must submit the completed Consortium Agreement and Approval to Study Abroad forms to both the Study Abroad and SFS offices.

Generally, Temple students attending a non-Temple program will not receive an increase in their aid package, even if the non-Temple program costs more than studying at Temple. However, it is very important for Temple students to discuss their financial aid package with the Student Financial Services office. All students should review the scholarships available specifically for studying abroad on the Study Abroad website.

The Study Abroad library has a variety of resources available for students to research funding opportunities for study abroad. Among the books in the library are: Financial Aid for Research and Creative Activities Abroad; Financial Aid for Study and Training Abroad, and Financial Resources for International Study. All three of these volumes have information for funding at the undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels. There are also binders, arranged by country, of scholarship competitions and sources of financial assistance, and handouts outlining grants for Temple and non-Temple programs administered by Study Abroad.

Non-Temple Students on Temple Programs

Students from other institutions should consult with financial aid officers at their home institutions to find out which sources of aid are available to them and what the processes are for using aid to attend a Temple program. Federal awards and a number of state awards are generally transferable to Temple and other institutions.

In general, most institutions utilize a contractual agreement, usually called a consortium or consortial agreement, as a means to process a student’s aid when that student is attending another hosting institution, such as Temple. The agreement is usually forwarded to the hosting institution, completed by the host, and then forwarded back to the student’s financial aid office. In some cases the aid is forwarded directly to Temple. In other cases the aid is forwarded to the student. Again, students must check with their home institution early on to make sure they understand what aid can be used and what the process is. If your institution uses consortial agreements, these agreements should be forwarded to Study Abroad for completion.

Students who intend to finance all or a portion of their overseas study through financial aid funds must follow procedures designed to ensure that required forms are completed prior to departure for their program. Students from other institutions attending a Temple study abroad program must document their awards by providing to Temple Study Abroad:

  • Photocopies of the official notification letter(s). Such letters should state the amount, source, and date of availability of the awards.
  • The name, title, address, and phone number of the person or persons responsible for the administration of each of the grants, loans, or scholarships submitted. Also included should be the name and address of the regular financial aid office at the student's home institution.