You are here

Parent PLUS If Approved/Denied

If your credit is approved

  • Complete the PLUS Master Promissory Note (MPN) on the website. Choose "Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN)" then select "Parent PLUS." Follow the four-step process to accept your loan. 
  • The maximum amount you can borrow is equal to your student's Cost of Attendance minus other Estimated Aid (these figures are listed on your student's financial aid award). 
    • To determine this amount, please take your student's aid offer and review the full Cost of Attendance. Take that figure, subtract all other aid, and the difference is the maximum amount permissible.
  • If approved, the U.S. Department of Education will electronically transmit your information to our system. We will process it within a few days and your student will receive a revised Financial Aid Offer.

If your credit is declined

  • If you have an adverse credit history, you may still receive a Direct PLUS Loan by obtaining an endorser who does not have an adverse credit history or documenting to the U.S. Department of Education’s satisfaction extenuating circumstances relating to your adverse credit history.
    • If you are a parent borrower, the endorser cannot be the student on whose behalf you are borrowing.
    • For more information visit, or by calling Direct Loan Applicant Services at 800-557-7394 for more information regarding your denial, appeal, or endorser process.
      • PLUS online Counseling is required for all borrowers, 
      • PLUS online Counseling is intended to help Direct PLUS Applicants:
        • Understand the cost and obligations that come with borrowing a PLUS Loan.
        • Make careful decisions about taking on Federal loan debt.  
  • If a parent borrower is unable to secure a PLUS loan, the undergraduate dependent student may be eligible for additional unsubsidized loans to help pay for their education.
    • The parent borrower must first send an email to from the same email account used on their denied Federal Parent PLUS application to confirm they do not wish to appeal the credit decision or seek an endorser.
    • Then the dependent student must complete and submit the Undergraduate Federal Loan Change Request Form, and submit to the SFS Office for handling.
  • Endorsed loans cannot be increased without a new application and endorser addendum.