Who We Are and What We Do
On May 24, 2022, the boards of Philadelphia Futures and Steppingstone Scholars voted to merge,creating one of the most dynamic, expansive, and trusted educational nonprofits in the City of Philadelphia.
This vote provides a path for the joint organization to significantly scale services for students, particularly Black, Latino/a, and first-generation students, and to create sustainable access
to academic and workforce opportunities. Upon the official merger, which is subject to required governmental approvals, the organization will rebrand as a new entity to be unveiled in Fall 2022. In the coming months, we are excited to make key additions to the team (informally called PFSS in the interim) that will support the vision for the new organization: “all Philadelphia students graduate high school with pathways to economic mobility
through college and workforce success.”
About this Role:
Graduate Assistants support PFSS programming and operations in our school-based programs
throughout Philadelphia. They will work under the supervision of a Program Director and have
specific projects and responsibilities assigned to them in which they will have to plan and implement
during the program year. The candidate is required to have good communication and writing skills,
organizational skills, willingness to learn research based intervention strategies, and be able to work
effectively with teachers and students in an urban setting.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Planning and implementing program events including student and family
- recruitment, registration, and programming
- Collecting and analyzing program data and outcomes and make recommendations for
- future programming
- Communicating with students, families and other key personnel on behalf of PFSS to address
- student participation/behavior in program
- Acting as a positive role model, reflecting the appropriate social, academic, interpersonal skills required for high school and college successDeveloping and maintaining professional communication between staff and students
- Supporting, encouraging, and aiding students in all phases of the program
- Promoting staff programming initiatives, conducting research, and suggesting
- engaging supplemental workshops and learning activities for students
- Attending staff meetings and in-service training workshops
- Completing duties as assigned
- Bachelors’ degree required
- Must be enrolled as a Temple Graduate student and be eligible for Work Study
- Experience in urban education nonprofits and/or school settings; independent school
- experience helpful
- Strong analytical skills and excellent attention to detail, and evident ability to handle
- multiple projects
- Ability to think strategically and synthesize recommendations
- Ability to identify potential problems, analyze issues, and provide proactive solutions
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to foster collaborative relationships with employees,
- scholars and families, vendors, and organizational partners
- Excellent organizational skills and proven ability to manage multiple projects and
- prioritize to meet deadlines
- Computer skills including Microsoft Office, Constant Contact, Filemaker Pro and social media
- Self-directed with the ability to work on multiple projects with competing priorities and deadlines
Other things to keep in mind:
- This position has a requirement to meet in-person. All candidates must be fully vaccinated and
- should be prepared for regular testing if requested by the organization and/or a partner.
- Candidates must adhere to COVID safety guidelines of the organization
- Must be able to regularly access and use general office equipment including phones,
- computers, copiers, etc.
- Must be able to work in a busy, often complex work environment that is generally climate
- Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds unassisted on an occasional basis.
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time.
- Must be able to stand or walk for long periods of time.
- Must meet PA State background check requirements [PA Criminal, PA Child Abuse and FBI
- Fingerprint Check
Rate of Pay: $20/hr- Must qualify for Federal Work-study- contact firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
Work Location: School Site, Various Locations, In-person