The mission of the Free Library of Philadelphia is to advance literacy, guide learning, and inspire curiosity. Its vision is to build an enlightened community devoted to lifelong learning.
Location: Parkway Central Library -1901 Vine Street Philadelphia, PA 19103
Wage: $10/hr. Must qualify for Federal work-study. Contact email@example.com for review.
Length of Employment: Summer 2022 with possible continuation into the 2022 Academic Year
Work-Schedule: Schedule will vary based on the students’ availability and needs of the Supervisor.
The Free Library of Philadelphia’s Languages and Learning Center is searching for a work-study student to serve as a high school equivalency/tutoring coordinator. We are seeking a kind, organized, and responsible undergraduate student who is interested in supporting our tutors and learners. Adults are tutored in adult basic education, high school equivalency, English language, and world languages. High school equivalency learners are taking online GED and HiSET prep courses. The responsibilities and duties listed below will be completed through phone calls, emails, and texting.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Contact prospective tutors and learners
- Contact prospective high school equivalency students
- Manage tutor and tutee contact lists
- Manage high school equivalency student contact list
- Conduct weekly follow-up with learners and students
- Schedule onboarding sessions for tutors
- Schedule and conduct orientation sessions with high school equivalency students
- Refer learners and students to other programs and classes as needed
- Organized, timely, and reliable
- Kind, friendly, patient, and encouraging
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-directed and able to work with minimal supervision
- Ability to coordinate with other staff, meet deadlines, and manage multiple tasks
- Review tutor/learner intake forms and session forms and report data to library supervisor
- Review high school equivalency students’ progress and report data to library supervisor
- Proficient computer skills, including Microsoft Office Suite and GSuite
- Experience with adult education is preferred
- All students applying for this position must be eligible for Federal work Study through their financial aid award.
Students who accept positions with the Free Library Off Campus Work Study Program will be required to complete the PA State Child Abuse Clearances in order to be permitted to work. There is no cost to the student for the completion of these clearances and instructions will be provided by the coordinator.
The City of Philadelphia requires that all employees who have not received the COVID 19 vaccinations will be required to double mask when working in any Free Library location.