The mission of the Free Library of Philadelphia is to advance literacy, guide learning, and inspire curiosity. Its vision is to build an enlightened community devoted to lifelong learning.
Office Work Location: Parkway Central Library 1901 Vine Street.
Wage: $10.00/hr.- Must qualify for federal work-study. Contact email@example.com to review eligibility.
Length of Employment: Fall 2022- Spring 2023 semester
Work- Schedule: Schedule will vary based on the students’ availability and needs of the Supervisor.
The Theatre Collection of the Free Library of Philadelphia is seeking a work study student to work almost exclusively on-site at the Parkway Central Library. In this position, you will assist the Curator of the Collection while working with special collections materials related to the performing arts, primarily theatre and film.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sorting and filing playbills and other related production materials and making new production folders as needed
- Assisting with paging materials for patrons
- Creating and updating spreadsheet inventories for a variety of collections, including the Theatrical Production Files, film press books, and film posters
- Shifting, re-shelving, and refiling books and materials
- Creating call number flags for newly-cataloged books
- Depending on the candidate, some additional duties may include:
- Enhancing digital collections records
- Assisting with the creation of finding aids
- Staffing the welcome desk of the Rare Book Department, if needed
- Ability to schedule fairly consistent work hours on-site between the hours of 9.00 a.m. and 5.00 p.m., Monday to Friday
- Excellent organization skills and attention to detail
- Self-directed and able to work with limited supervision
- Energetic and eager to tackle new projects
- All students applying for this position must be eligible for Federal work Study through their financial aid award.
Students who accept positions with the Free Library Off Campus Work Study Program will be required to complete the PA State Child Abuse Clearances in order to be permitted to work with minors. There is no cost to the student for the completion of these clearances.
The City of Philadelphia and the Free Library of Philadelphia require that all employees be vaccinated for COVID-19 or else submit an exemption for us to keep on file. If you are not vaccinated but provide us with an exemption you will also need to agree to wear a double mask when working in any Free Library location