The Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority is one of the largest transit systems in the United States, serving five counties in the Greater Philadelphia area and connecting to transit systems in Delaware and New Jersey. Its services include regional rail, buses, trolleys, subway and a high-speed line to western suburbs.
Office Work Location:
Planning & Strategic Initiatives Division-SEPTA
1234 Market Street, 9th Fl. Philadelphia, PA 19107
Working Hours: Monday through Friday, 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM.
- Hours per week dependent on funding from Work-Study Award.
- Limited remote work may be permitted for this position in accordance with SEPTA policy.
Employment Length: Summer 2022: May 2022 – August 2022
- Undergraduate Students: $15/hour
- Graduate Students: $17/hour
- Must qualify for Federal Work-study. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
List Full Duties & Responsibilities:
SEPTA’s Planning & Strategic Initiatives Division is dedicated to the agency’s progress towards a more equitable, livable, and connected Greater Philadelphia region. The division encompasses several departments; those participating in this internship program include Strategic Planning & Analysis (SP&A), Service Planning, and the Office of Innovation (OOI). You may indicate your interest in any of these three departments depending on your interests.
All interns will support key projects by providing research support, collecting, and analyzing data, mapping, and assembling graphics and documents. Based on your experience and goals, you will develop skills in project management, data analysis, mapping, graphic design, public communication, and planning to support regional infrastructure and livability programs. You will have the opportunity to attend internal and external meetings and gain first-hand experience in intergovernmental and public collaboration. As you find a particular area of interest, you may choose to pursue a “signature” project during your time with the division.
Role of each department:
Strategic Planning & Analysis (SP&A)
- Creates, develops, and coordinates projects that support the SEPTA Forward Strategic Plan (e.g., Reimagining Regional Rail, Bus Revolution, Trolley Modernization, Wayfinding Master Plan).
- Manages long-range visioning projects, including schedules and budgets, and related studies including corridor plans.
- Focuses on short-range service projects responsive to changing ridership including bus stop reviews, traffic simulation, employee and stakeholder engagement, route planning and scheduling support.
- Conducts bus service performance monitoring and evaluation.
Office of Innovation (OOI)
- Provides comprehensive ridership and data analysis, including development of novel datasets and visualizations.
- Develops SEPTA’s forthcoming Sustainability Plan, energy data management, and planning for zero or low emission fleets and facilities.
General Qualifications/ Specific Qualifications for the various levels/rates of pay associated with the position
Academic Experience Requirements
The Transit Planning Intern must have completed at least two years of an undergraduate program in an applicable major. These include but are not limited to: City and Regional Planning, Urban Studies, Environmental Studies, Landscape Architecture, Computer Science, Data Science, Statistics, Political Science, and Public Policy.
It is preferred that the candidate is enrolled in a graduate-level program from an applicable major.
Digital Analysis Experience Preferences
Includes, but is not limited to: ArcGIS, Adobe Creative Suite, Excel, R, Python, SQL, or Tableau.
SEPTA is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
Purpose of Role of the work-study position within the organization
Work study interns provide SEPTA and the Planning & Strategic Initiatives with an array of support services, including data collection and analysis, policy and best practices research, mapping, and document creation.
The internship is an academic exercise, and even though the position may include actual operation of the facilities of SEPTA, it is similar to training that would be given in an educational environment. The position will not displace regular employees; rather, the intern will work under close supervision of existing Planning & Strategic Initiatives staff.
Successful candidates can expect a varied workload over the course of the summer and will likely be involved in multiple SEPTA projects.
SEPTA requires all new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and provide proof of vaccination at their pre-employment medical appointment. SEPTA and TSA mandate that both employees and customers wear masks at all times in SEPTA facilities, including administrative offices. Policies and mandates are subject to change
Send resume & cover letter to email@example.com