Summer Work Study
Summer Federal Work-Study Program allows students to earn funding toward educational expenses for the upcoming academic year. Students wanting to work during the Summer must come to Student Financial Services to request a Summer workstudy award. Click here for fast facts on Summer Work Study.
- Students must have a valid FAFSA on file for the current year and the upcoming academic year.
- Student must qualify for Title IV Aid.
- Students must have unmet financial need- This is determined by the Financial Aid Office.
- Students must be either enrolled for Summer Session or pre-registered for the upcoming Fall term.
- Student Financial Services will determine a student’s eligibility for a summer Federal Work Study award based on remaining annual eligibility and summer session (s) or upcoming fall pre-registration. Amounts awarded are determined based on available funding.
- Students enrolled in courses for the Summer I or Summer II sessions must complete and submit the Summer Federal Work Study Request Form to SFS.
- Students that are not enrolled during the summer session(s), but are pre-registered for the upcoming fall semester are required to adhere to the federal regulation that governs FWS. The regulation requires a portion of summer earnings be used to meet educational expenses during the upcoming academic year. These attributed earnings are considered a resource offsetting calculated need for the upcoming FAFSA award year.
Students working On-Campus will be hired through the department posting the position.
Students wanting to work Off-Campus must stop by Student Financial Services.
- Off-Campus work must be at an employer that SFS currently has a current contract with. Temple's Off-Campus workstudy program only contracts with local non-profits that provide services to the community. We do not contract with private organizations or organizations that do not meet our community service definition.
- Students who begin working without prior authorization off-campus will not be paid through the Federal Workstudy Grant. Please note that outside organizations do not have access to Temple's HR or payroll system .
- Please note that having a workstudy award on your account does not guarantee that it can be used towards an internship position. As stated previously workstudy awards can only be used towards Temple contracted non-profit organizations. Students should contact us at 215-204-1404 or firstname.lastname@example.org prior to working off-campus.
Summer 2019 & Fall 2019 Workstudy Funding Dates:
- Summer-1 Work-study Funds will be in effect- May 11
- Summer-2 Work-study Funds will be in effect- June 22nd
- Fall 2019 Work-study Funds will be in effect- August 17th
- Students working on 8/17th onward must have an accepted Fall 2019 workstudy award on their account.
Students who are not performing to the expectations of their employers do not have special protection under Federal Work-Study. An employer may terminate students failing to meet expectations.
Workman’s Compensation insurance covers students employed on each Temple University campus. If you are injured on the job, you should inform your supervisor immediately.
Temple University will not bear responsibility for injuries occurring at off-campus employers. Students should inquirer about Workman’s Compensation insurance coverage prior to accepting employment.