You are here

State Grants

PA State Grants 

Detailed information regarding student award eligibility can be reviewed by visiting the PHEAA grant program manual.

Basic Eligibility Criteria

  • Full-time (at least 12 credits) and half-time (at least 6 credits) Pennsylvania State Grants are awarded to undergraduate Commonwealth residents pursuing their first bachelor’s degree through the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA).
  • All Pennsylvania residents must apply for a state grant by filing the FAFSA
  • Pennsylvania State Grants are awarded to undergraduate Pennsylvania residents who are pursuing their first bachelor’s degree in an approved program of study of at least two academic years in length. 
  • Be enrolled in a program of study where at least 50 percent of the total credit hours needed for completion of the program are earned through classroom instructions.
  • Students must maintain PHEAA state grant satisfactory academic progress which is different from Federal Title IV financial aid satisfactory academic progress. PHEAA state grant progress is reviewed annually after the spring semester, and is defined as successfully completing a minimum of 12 new credits for each full-time semester of PHEAA grant received (6 new credits for each half-time semester grant received) during the preceding academic year. Students may receive a maximum of 8 full-time semester grants (or its equivalent). After students are determined by PHEAA to be eligible for a state grant based on need, the Student Financial Services Office determines if you are maintaining satisfactory academic progress. The University may then need to cancel your grant, even after the initial award is made by PHEAA, if you are not making satisfactory academic progress. If you believe that you have grounds to request an exception to this policy please complete and submit a State Grant Program Academic Progress Exception Form, 

NOTE: Grades of "W" are NOT counted as credits completed for state grant academic progress. For example, students who takes 12 credits in one semester and withdraw from a class with a grade of "W" (and pass the remaining 9 credits for the semester), will be considered to have completed a maximum of 9 credits, You are, therefore, considered NOT to be making academic progress for purposes of receiving PHEAA state grant.

Non-PA State Grants

Non-Pennsylvania residents should check with their respective state agency for state grant information.  The U.S. Department of Education provides a full list of higher education agencies by state at the Education Resource Organizations Directory.  Students residing in states other than Pennsylvania can contact their state education department directly to inquire about scholarship and grant opportunities.  Not all state grant programs are transferable if a student is attending a school outside of their home state. 

The states listed below offer grant and scholarship programs for their residents who attend Temple University.

Capitol Scholarship Program
Department of Higher Education
61 Woodland Street
Hartford, CT 06105-2326

Delaware Higher Education Commission
Carvel State Office Building
820 North French Street
Wilmington, DE 19801-3509

District of Columbia
District of Columbia Higher Education Financial Services
Financial Aid
51 North Street NE, Lower Level
Washington, DC 20002 
202-727-2824 or 877-485-6751

Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance
454 Broadway
Suite 200
Revere, MA 02151

Ohio Board of Regents - Ohio Instructional Grant (OIG)
State Grants and Scholarships Department
PO Box 182452
Columbus, OH 43215-2452
614-466-7420 or 888-833-1133

Vermont Student Assistance Corporation
Champlain Mill / Grant Department
PO Box 2000
Winooski, VT 05404-2601

West Virginia
West Virginia Higher Education
1018 Kanawha Boulevard, East Suite 700
Charleston, WV 25301-2827