You are here

Graduate Students

The majority of the graduate student financial aid administered by the Student Financial Services (SFS) office is in the form of federal loan and Work-Study programs. The professional graduate programs found on the Temple University Health Sciences Campus (HSC) are administered by the HSC Student Financial Services office and HSC graduate students must complete the HSC Graduate enrollment form.

The Temple University Office of Scholar Development and Fellowships Advising offers graduate student scholarship opportunities, workshops, information sessions and individual appointments.

Finally, for information on the resources offered through Temple University graduate departments visit the Graduate School website. Some graduate programs will require the FAFSA is completed by no later than February 1st for scholarship opportunities. 

Eligibility Determination

To receive and retain student financial aid, including the Federal Direct and PLUS Loans, graduate and professional students must file the annual FAFSA and meet certain eligibility requirements. The Federal Direct Unsubsidized and PLUS Loans require graduate students are enrolled at least half time during each semester (minimum 4.5 credit hours). Dissertation students, please see your graduate department for enrollment information. 

Semester enrollment and additional resources must be considered when determining eligibility for the Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan and Work-Study programs. Most financial aid awards are based originally upon the assumption that students will enroll full time (9 or more credits per semester for graduate students). Thus, if students change their status from full- to part-time enrollment, an aid adjustment may result. If a student withdraws from Temple University, an aid adjustment may result. See Conditions of Award section of the SFS website.

Graduate students should contact the SFS office to confirm enrollment (credit registration) per semester.

financial aid awarding

Student Financial Services begins to process graduate student financial aid awards in March for the upcoming academic year. Students will receive a TUmail notification of a processed financial aid offer notifying them to review in the Self-Service Banner (SSB) section of the TUportal. It is important to notify the SFS office of all enrollment revisions.

Cost of Attendance Appeal

Students who experience higher education-related costs than outlined on their financial aid offer may appeal for an increase in their Cost of Attendance. This appeal is intended to increase the student's overall budget so (s)he/they may obtain additional loan funds to meet these education-related expenses. This appeal does not result in non-loan funding. The purpose of the appeal is to permit the student to borrow additional loan funds to meet these education-related expenses. Examples of these expenses are increased childcare expenses, unexpected housing costs, etc. Students must be able to document the increase. Please also bear in mind that the aid offer only covers nine months of the year, in keeping with the Fall/Spring semesters.

The 2022-2023 Cost of Attendance Appeal is available from July 1, 2022 until March 1, 2023.

Students can request the appeal through our Dashboard using the following steps:

  • The student should log into
  • Click on the Manage Requests button in the upper right hand corner
  • Click on the plus button for a 2022-2023 Cost of Attendance Appeal
  • Provide a brief description of the change
  • Complete and sign the embedded webform and submit all requested documentation.

Appeals are only reviewed once the appeal form is signed, the supporting documentation is uploaded, and the "submit" button is clicked. We cannot review incomplete appeals. Students are notified via email if we need additional information and of the outcome of the appeal. 

Graduate Students must file a 2022-2023 FAFSA to be able to appeal their Cost of Attendance through the Dashboard. If you are unable to file a FAFSA, please contact with the subject line "COA Appeal - No FAFSA." A representative will reach out to you to discuss your options.

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan

The annual Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan amount for graduate students is $20,500 (divided evenly between fall and spring semesters). Student Financial Services will approve the maximum annual amount of Federal Unsubsidized Direct Loan funding and all students have the ability to accept, adjust or decline your financial aid award offer online in Self-Service Banner (SSB) section of the TUportal.  

New Federal Unsubsidized loan borrowers must complete an Entrance Interview and Master Promissory Note (MPN) by going online to the Department of Education website, Once at the site, click the Complete Aid Process section. Under Complete Aid Process, students can find the Entrance Counseling link, and the Master Promissory link.

Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan

Students interested in the Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan should apply online, SFS cannot certify a loan amount that is greater than your annual financial aid budget (cost of attendance).

NOTE: In order for a Graduate PLUS loan to disburse, the student will need to complete a Credit Check/Application,  first time Temple borrows must also complete a Master Promissory Note, and an Entrance Interview at

Federal Work Study

Graduate students interested in obtaining a federal work-study grant must be enrolled at least half time during each semester (minimum 4.5 credit hours) and have demonstrated financial need as determined by the annual FAFSA.

Interested graduate students should contact the Student Financial Services office for more information.

Private Student Alternative Loan

Private alternative loans are managed through private lenders, issued in the student’s name, and require a credit-worthy co-signer. Eligibility, rates, terms, and conditions vary. Approval and interest rates are based on the borrower’s and co-signer’s credit ratings. Alternative loans are agreements between the borrower, co-signer, and the lender.

Other Resources

Graduate students must contact the Student Financial Services office to report all additional resources each academic year.

Additional resources may include, but are not limited to: Temple University graduate student tuition remission, Temple University graduate student tuition scholarships, Temple University employee tuition remission, outside agency scholarships, non-Temple employee tuition remission, Temple University graduate school awards/assistantships/fellowships and Temple University departmental scholarships.

These additional resources will be used as resources by the SFS office when determining student’s Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan and Work-Study eligibility. These resources may appear as “estimates” on the financial aid award letter until funds are received by the SFS office.  Please confirm all other resources you receive with your graduate school or the other funding source. 

Financial aid is audited throughout the year and this may result in adjustments to student financial aid awards if additional resources are received.

Summer 2022 Financial Aid Instructions
  • Graduate students wanting to utilize federal student aid for summer 2022 must submit a 2021-2022 FAFSA to Temple University. Students must meet Federal Student Aid eligibility requirements to receive summer federal student aid. More information on Federal Student Aid eligibility requirements can be found at
  • Graduate students are assessed tuition on a per credit basis. University Services fees are assessed to applicable programs based on the number of credit hour enrollment for the summer semester. More information on each program's 2021-2022 tuition credit hour rate and summer University Services fees can be found on the Bursar's Tuition Rates
  • Graduate students with federal unsubsidized loan eligiblility can utilize remaining eligibility for the 2021-2022 academic year if they meet the half-time enrollment requirement. Graduate students eligible for federal student aid can borrow up to $20,500 in an academic year. To calculate potential summer unsubsidized loan eligibility, graduate students should subtract previously borrowed unsubsidized loan funding from another institution or from Temple University from the fall 2021 and spring 2022 semesters from the $20,500 annual limit. Please note, total aggregate federal loan limits still apply. If you are close to or at the total aggregate limit of $138,500 in combined federal subsidized and unsubsidized loan outstanding principal, you may not be eligible for federal unsubsidized loan funding for summer. Professional students may have higher annual loan limit amounts. We recommend you set up an appointment with a financial aid counselor for more account specific information. 
  • SFS will begin to produce graduate summer financial aid offers in late April. These offers will have any remaining unsubsidized loan eligibility for the 2021-2022 academic year in offered status for students who meet the summer half-time enrollment requirement. Students will need to log into TU Portal and accept any summer unsubsidized loan funding they wish to utilize when the summer financial aid offer becomes available. 
  • Graduate students who have exhausted federal unsubsidized loan eligibility can apply for a federal Graduate Plus loan or a private student loan for summer. The federal Graduate Plus loan requires at least half-time enrollment in the summer. If students apply for a private summer loan, please check on any enrollment requirements specific to the loan lender. 
  • SFS recommends graduate students apply for any additional federal Graduate Plus loan or private student loans for summer once they are officially registered for summer courses.
  • Loan term dates for summer 2022 for additional loan applications are below:
    • Summer 1 only: May 2022 to June 2022
    • Summer 2 only: June 2022 to August 2022
    • Summer 1 and Summer 2: May 2022 to August 2022
  • SFS will certify summer federal Graduate Plus loan (for students meeting the half-time enrollment requirement) and private student loan applications (for students enrolled in summer) beginning in late April. 
  • Summer Federal Work-Study: Graduate students interested in utilizing summer work-study should review the SFS Summer Work-Study site


FAQs for Graduate Summer Financial Aid
  • What is considered half-time enrollment for summer?
    • Graduate students: 4.5 credits in either summer session OR 2.25 credits for summer session 1 and 2.25 credits for summer session 2.
    • Students enrolled in a summer dissertation course: Please reach out to SFS to review your specific situation. 
  • How do I accept my summer federal unsubsidized loan?
    • Log into TU Portal.
    • Click on the Cost and Aid tab. 
    • Click on the '2021-2022 academic year' for summer 2022, listed under the Student Financial Services section.
    • Click on the requirement to review and accept summer financial aid. 
    • If you are enrolled in both summer 1 and summer 2, any graduate federal unsubsidized loan amount you accept will be split equally between the summer 1 and summer 2 semesters.
    • Any summer federal Graduate Plus loan or private loan funding is considered accepted upon receipt of the approved application by Temple University. Additional summer loan applications need to be certified by Student Financial Services, and will appear on a student's summer financial aid offer when certified.
  • Where can I apply for a federal Graduate Plus loan?
    • Graduate students can apply for a federal Graduate Plus loan through Summer 2022 federal Graduate Plus loans are a part of the 2021 -2022 academic year. The loan term dates for summer 2022 are below:
    • Summer 1 only: May 2022 to June 2022
    • Summer 2 only: June 2022 to August 2022
    • Summer 1 and Summer 2: May 2022 to August 2022
  • How will a federal Graduate Plus loan or private student loan be applied to my summer account?
    • Any summer federal Graduate Plus loan or private loan funding is considerd accpeted upon receipt of the approved application by Temple. Additional summer loan applications need to be certified by Student Financial Services, and will appear on a student's summer financial aid offer when certified. 
    • Financial aid is first applied to any billable account charges for the semester. Any resulting credit balance for the semester will be released as a refund. SFS recommends adding direct deposit as a student's refund method through TU Pay.
  • How can I increase or decrease my summer loan?
    • Graduate students looking to make any changes to an accepted summer federal unsubsidized loan or federal Graduate Plus loan will need to submit the Summer Loan Change Request form to This form can be located under the 2021-2022 section of the SFS forms site
    • To decrease a private student loan, please send an email from your TU Mail address confirming the loan type, the enrollment period, and the requested reduced amount. Please make sure you include your 9 digit TU ID in any email. 
  • What should I do with my summer federal loans if my account balance amounts are different for summer 1 and summer 2?
    • You will first need to accept any federal unsubsidized loan amount, or apply for any summer federal Graduate Plus loan funding. If your account balance are different amounts between summer 1 and summer 2, and this affects the amount you need for each semester, please complete a Summer Federal Loan Change Request form that indicates the loan amounts you are requesting specifically for summer 1 and summer 2. Please note, federal unsubsidized loans are still subject to the annual limit of up to $20,500. Federal Graduate Plus loan applications that have been endorsed or the credit check appeal has been approved will need to submit an additional application for any requested increase. If you have an endorsed federal Graduate Plus loan, or the credit check required an approved appeal, please reach out to regarding your specific situation. 
  • When will my summer aid disburse?
    • If all financial aid requirements and enrollment requirements have been met, financial aid for the semester typically disburses two business days prior to the official start of the semester. 
    • Credit balances are typically released as a refund within the first two weeks of the semester. Note, your enrollment as a part-time student, or changes to your enrollment could affect your refund. SFS recommends adding direct deposit through TU Pay as your preferred refund method. 
  • What are the requirements for summer work-study, and how do I request this?
    • Please go to the SFS summer work-study site for more information on summer work-study requirements. Students meeting the summer work-study requirements can complete the Summer Federal Work-Study Request form, which will be available under the 2021-2022 section of the SFS Forms site as we get closer to the summer semesters. 
  • What if I drop one or multiple summer courses?
    • If you drop a summer course, this could affect your federal aid eligibility, and may result in a reduction or cancellation of federal student aid. If you are thinking of making any changes to your summer enrollment, we recommend you email to determine how this could affect your summer financial aid.