Company: The Free Library of Philadelphia
The mission of the Free Library of Philadelphia is to advance literacy, guide learning, and inspire curiosity. Its vision is to build an enlightened community devoted to lifelong learning.
Nicetown-Tioga Branch of the Free Library (North Philadelphia)
- Must qualify for federal work-study. Contact [click-for-email] to review eligibility.
Length of Employment:
Summer 2023 & Fall 2023
Students must be available to work in the Workforce Center at the Nicetown Branch on Monday and Thursday from 1:45 – 4:15
The Free Library of Philadelphia and NWON Opportunities seek a part-time Work-Study student to work at the Nicetown-Tioga Branch of the Free Library. A newly installed workforce center in the library has just opened and would like assistance with patrons who are looking for help with job preparedness.
In order to be eligible, we would want someone who can commit to working each week on Monday and Thursday sometime during the hours of 11:00am and 4pm.
Business majors are preferred, but all are welcome to apply. This is the perfect opportunity to gain hands on valuable professional experience with the staff of the Free Library and NWON Opportunities.
If you have additional availability in your schedule, outside of the requested hours in the workforce center, this branch is also looking for assistance with some of their other programs. After school programs, computer aid and other tasks that the Branch Manager may need accomplished.
- Assist with daily operations of the workforce center
- Prepare potential candidates for upcoming interviews
- Assist with resume revisions and effective job search
- Teach candidates how to use virtual platforms such as Microsoft Teams, Zoom, and Google Meet
- Support the branch manager, library supervisors, librarians and administrators by working in areas of the library where patrons of all ages seek instruction, homework help, basic computer skills and workforce development or other tasks to be determined by the branch manager.
- Assist librarians and program managers with current in person and virtual adult and youth education and language programs.
- A Program Assistant who has helpful ideas about creating and facilitating online, virtual computer classes and/or workshops and podcast editing skills may be the successful candidate.
- A Temple Federal Work Study award is required for all off campus work study positions
- The City of Philadelphia and the Free Library of Philadelphia require that all employees be vaccinated for COVID-19 or else submit an exemption for us to keep on file. If you are not vaccinated but provide us with an exemption you will also need to agree to wear a double mask when working in any Free Library location
- Knowledge of MS Office platforms
- Be willing to follow all established COVID -19 guidelines and mandates as directed by the City of Philadelphia – Department of Health.
- Excellent communication and time management skills
- Ability to multitask
- Positive and friendly attitude
- Possess strong customer service, leadership, and communication skills, with an interest in forwarding the various aspects of literacy and librarianship.
- Self-directed and able to work with minimal supervision
- Energetic and eager to tackle new projects and ideas
Please note that federal work study eligibility is required for all off-campus positions.
Company Contact Information:
To apply: send short cover letter and resume to Debi Leonard, Work Study Program Coordinator for the Free Library, at [click-for-email] Someone will contact you if you qualify for an interview.