You are here

Frequently Asked Questions


    Alternative (Private) Student Loans

    Where do I apply for a private/alternative loan?

    Applications for private/alternative loans (borrowed from banks or credit unions) can be completed directly with the lender, often through the institution’s website. We recommend you research multiple options in order to find the best fit for you.

    Can SFS recommend a specific lender that’s right for me?

    Financial aid offices are prohibited by federal law from maintaining a list of preferred lenders. That said, we can counsel students on whether they meet the academic or enrollment eligibility requirements for specific loans. For example, some lenders require students to be enrolled at least half-time; be in degree seeking programs; or meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress standards, whereas others do not. We can give you information about these eligibility criteria, but we cannot determine whether you and/or your cosigner is likely to be approved for any given loan.

    I applied for a private loan. When will I receive the funds?

    Private loans are certified (i.e., reviewed and posted to an account) within 2-3 weeks of Temple SFS receiving the request. Periods of high processing volume, such as the start of the Fall and Spring semesters, can delay this process by an additional 2-3 weeks. Students should submit their loan requests at least 4-6 weeks prior to the start of an academic term to ensure the funds are received in time.

    Once the loan is certified there is a 14 day “right to cancel” period that the majority of lenders have. They will not send Temple the funds until this period is complete. Once the lender sends the funds, it takes 3-5 business days for the funds to be received and paid to your student account.

    Do I apply for a loan every semester or for the full year?

    Students should be aware that we process loans for the full academic year. This means that we will take the amount requested and split it into two (2) payments - one for Fall, and one for Spring.

    *Private Alternative Loans for the Fall/Spring loan period will be split equally between the two semesters; the disbursement of a $10,000 Fall/Spring loan would be $5,000 for the fall semester and $5,000 for the spring semester.

    Temple rejected the loan certification request sent by my lender. Why?

    Once you are approved by a lender to receive a private/alternative loan, the lender will send SFS a loan certification request. Our office then confirms that you are eligible to receive the loan according to the lender’s eligibility requirements. If you are not eligible, Temple SFS will reject the loan certification. If you have questions about a lender’s requirements, please contact the lender directly.

    I was approved for a loan a long time ago and it’s still not certified by Temple. Why is there a delay?

    In many cases there is a processing delay for loan certifications. However, if several weeks have passed and your loan is still not certified, there may be a problem with your account that is preventing certification. Please email us with concerns and we will research your account as soon possible.

    Common reasons why a private loan certification may be delayed include:

    • The student has been selected for--and has not completed--federal verification. Please review your SFS requirements within the Costs and Aid Tab of your TUportal.
    • The student’s graduation date appears to be inaccurate in Temple’s student information system. Please review your graduation date in the system, and if incorrect please contact your advisor (email) to have updated. If your graduation date is immediately after the completion of fall semester, and you do not plan to attend the spring semester please complete the Confirmation of Fall Graduation ( form and email via TUsafesend (within student’s TUportal) to our office.
    • The student’s FAFSA is received by Temple, but remains incomplete. If you wish to be considered for financial aid, please review your outstanding requirements in the TUportal to complete the necessary requirements so your financial aid offer can be generated. If you do not intend to complete the necessary requirements, and do not wish to receive federal or institutional aid, please contact our office in writing at to decline any FAFSA required aid.

    My private/alternative loan was posted for the entire year, even though I requested a single-semester loan period. What happened?


    Temple University requires students that borrow private loans do so for the entire academic year (evenly split between fall and spring semesters). This policy is meant to ensure that students have enough funding in place to cover both semesters, and can avoid reapplying (and risking credit denial) each term.


    There are limited circumstances in which an exception to this policy may be granted:

    • Students that are graduating at the end of the fall semester. Please submit a Confirmation of Fall Graduation form, this can be found on our website and should be emailed via TUsafesend back to the SFS Office.
      *As a result, our office will adjust your entire financial aid offer according to regulations and then certify the loan for the fall semester in question.
    • Students admitted for the spring semester, or that did not attend the fall semester.
    • Students participating in a study abroad/away program for a single semester. A copy of your program acceptance letter, or study away/abroad charges on your account will be required.
    • Students who currently have a past due balance from a prior academic year. For example, any returning student for the fall semester that has a balance from the prior spring or summer semesters. If this scenario applies please complete the Prior Balance Certification Request form available on our website and should be emailed via TUsafesend back to the SFS Office.
    • If none of these circumstances apply to you, and you still wish to receive the loan for a single semester please email us at and explain the reason(s) why you need a single semester certification and we will review.

    I am studying abroad/away this semester and I want to borrow a single-semester private loan. What should I do?

    Please complete and submit to SFS the Study Abroad/Away Loan Request Form (available on our website) and should be emailed via TUsafesend back to the SFS Office.

    I am graduating at the conclusion of the Fall semester, so I only need my private loan for one term. What should I do? 

    Please complete and submit to SFS the Confirmation of Fall Graduation Date Form (available on our website) and should be emailed via TUsafesend back to the SFS Office.

    *All students receiving federal aid who will graduate at the completion of the fall term will need to contact the Student Financial Services office as soon as possible so that all their aid can be adjusted accordingly.

    I was approved for a private loan to cover a back balance I owe from a prior semester or academic year. What should I do?

    Please complete and submit the Prior Semester Balance Private Loan Certification Request Form (available on our website) and should be emailed via TUsafesend back to the SFS Office.

    Please note that not all lenders permit students to borrow loans to cover back balances from prior semesters. If you aren't sure whether your lender permits this, please contact the lender directly. If your lender does not permit back balances, we will reject the loan certification request.

    I need to increase my private loan, what should I do?

    If you would like to increase your loan, you will need to contact the lender directly to make this request.  Please be advised that in some cases a new loan for the amount of the increase will be required.

    I requested a larger loan than what you certified, why?

    If you requested a loan and we did not certify the full amount you likely have reached your total Cost of Attendance and are not eligible for additional funding. Your financial aid cost of attendance is available for your review on your financial aid offer. If you have additional questions, please get in touch with our office

    I want to decrease my private loan, what should I do?

    Email from your TUmail address with the following information (we are required to get your request in writing):

    • Semester you would like a loan decrease and if you would like a decrease for both semesters, please be specific to let us know.
    • How much you would like to lower your loan by

    Please note: If you receive a refund before the decrease request has been processed you may have to return, some or all, of the refund to Temple University once the decrease has been processed. We advise that you do not use that refund until you confirm the return has been processed via your TUpay account, or you email us at

    I want to cancel my private loan, what should I do?

    First, please contact your lender to cancel the loan through them. Next, please send an email to from your TU email address asking that we cancel your private loan.

    I requested a reduction or cancellation of my private loan, how long will it take to be processed?

    We try to initiate the reduction or cancellation promptly, but depending on volume it can take up to two (2) weeks to be processed. Once we initiate the process, the Bursar’s office will return the funding to the lender directly.

    I received a refund from my private loan that I no longer want. How can I return these funds?

    If you have already received a refund from your private/alternative loan, our office cannot return funds to your lender until you have returned an equivalent portion of your refund to Temple. For example, if you wish SFS to return $2,000 of your private loan, you would first need to return $2,000 of the received refund to the Bursar’s Office and notify them that you wish the funds to be returned to the lender. 


    What is Americorp?

    The Segal AmeriCorps Education Award (named after Eli Segal, a pioneer of national service) is a post-service benefit given to individuals who complete a term of national service in one of three approved AmeriCorps programs. 

    What can Americorp Payments be used toward?

    The AmeriCorps award is used to pay current educational expenses at approved post-secondary Title IV institutions.

    Awards may be used for both Title IV and non-Title IV educational courses.

    How do I request my AmeriCorps payment?

    An individual who has an education award submits a payment request to an eligible institution through the person’s online account in My AmeriCorps.

    The institution receives electronic notification of the payment request.  Utilizing the My AmeriCorps online system, the authorized certifying official completes the request by providing required information related to the request and certifies that the payment meets (or does not meet) the criteria.

    When can I expect my Americorp funding to be disbursed?

    Funds are received from AmeriCorps in two even disbursements per semester. The timing of which depends on the approved certification date and the starts and midpoint day of each semester.

    Funds for certifications approved prior to the start of the semester are applied to the student’s account two weeks from the enrollment start date and approximately two weeks from the reported semester midpoint.

    Funds for certifications approved any time after the semester midpoint will be received approximately two weeks from the certification date.

    Example Scenario:

    • Electronic request sent to University 08/09/2019
    • Certification approved in the amount of $2,000 on 8/12/2019
    • Semester begins 8/26/2019 and ends 12/18/2019
    • Midpoint date is 10/22/2019
    • $1,000 will be paid approximately 2 weeks after the start of the semester (8/26/2019), and the remaining $1,000 2 weeks after the midpoint (10/22/2019).
    • If request was received on 10/24/2019 and certified 10/25/19 certification of the full $2,000 will be disbursed approximately two weeks after the 10/25/2019.

    Why was my certification request denied?

    One possibility is the incorrect term information provided.  When completing your online request, semester must be specific i.e. Fall 2019.

    You must be currently enrolled in the semester you are requesting payment.

    DC Tuition Assistance Grant (DC TAG)

    DC TAG is a Grant to assist with the cost of DC resident student tuition cost when attending college/universities that charge in-state and out-of-state tuition. The Grant goes towards the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. DC TAG recipient must be charge out-of-state tuition at Temple University in the term that they are receiving DC TAG.

    How do I maintain eligibility DC TAG eligibility?

    Basic eligibility requirements are located on the District of Columbia Office of the State Superintendent of Education’s website located here.

    All DC TAG student must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) based on their university’s policy. Please refer to Satisfactory Academic Progress section of our policies page located here.

    When will DC TAG funding be applied to my account?

    DC TAG is invoiced each semester after the last day to drop/add courses.

    Generally we do not receive DC TAG funding until 4 – 6 weeks after invoice has been sent.

    Estimated Timeframe for Arrival of DC TAG Funding

    • Fall Semester DC TAG funding arrives around mid-October
    • Spring Semester DC TAG funding arrived around mid-March

    Can I used DC TAG for a Study Abroad Program?

    It depends. If you are attending a Temple University Study-Abroad program that will be charging you tuition/fees, you can use DC TAG for Study-Abroad.

    DC TAG cannot be used towards Non-Temple Study Abroad Programs (through consortium agreements).

    I receive other scholarships. Does this funding impact DC TAG?

    It depends. If you are receiving tuition-restricted scholarships (scholarship that for tuition only), we will have to report these scholarships to DC TAG. If the amount of tuition-restricted scholarships exceeds to cost of in-state tuition, you could see a reduction in the amount of your DC TAG or a complete elimination of DC TAG eligibility. Scholarships that are not tuition-restricted (can go towards other education cost including tuition/fees), do not have to be reported to DC TAG during the invoicing process.


    Federal Pell Grant

    Federal Pell Grants are awarded to undergraduate students who display exceptional financial need (low EFC) and have not earned a Bachelor’s Degree. A Federal Pell Grant does not have to be repaid.

    How do I apply for a Federal Pell Grant?

    In order to be reviewed for eligibility for the Federal Pell Grant, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the appropriate aid year. The FAFSA can be completed at or by using the myStudentAid app available through the Apple Apps Store (iOS) or Google Play Store (Android). The FAFSA for 2020-21 aid year was available beginning October 1, 2019. The 2021-22 FAFSA will be available October 1, 2020.

    We encourage students and parents to complete the FAFSA using the IRS Data Retrieval (if eligible to do so) as this ensure that income information is reported accurately. If selected for federal verification, the IRS Data Retrieval assist in making the verification process easier as we will not need to collect IRS Tax Transcripts or Tax Returns.

    Why was I selected for verification? Does it affect my Federal Pell Grant?

    The U.S. Department of Education may select a student for federal verification. All students selected for federal verification must complete the process before receiving federal student aid. This process will require that the student complete a verification form and provide federal tax transcripts or returns for the appropriate tax year.

    The school’s financial aid office is required to review this documentation and correct any errors on the FAFSA. Federal verification can impact your Federal Pell Grant negatively if the required corrections result in an increase of your Expected Family Contribution (EFC).

    How much money can I receive from the Pell Grant?

    The amount of the Pell Grant varies based on these factors:

    • Expected Family Contribution (EFC) – Calculated through the FAFSA process
    • The cost of attendance – Determined by Temple University
    • Your enrollment status (full-time, ¾ time, ½ time or less than half-time)
      • Full-time – 12 credits +
      • ¾ time = 9 – 11 credits
      • ½ time = 6 – 8 credits
      • Less than ½ time = 1 – 5 credits
    • Your plans to attend the full academic year or less
      • You cannot receive a full year amount of Pell Grant in one semester (Pell Grants are divided between semesters)

    The maximum amount of Federal Pell Grant a student can receive for the 2019-20 aid year is $6,195. The amounts of Pell Grants can change from year to year. All Federal Pell Grant amounts are determine by the Federal Government.

    What is the maximum amount of Pell Grant I can use for my undergraduate degree program?

    The amount of Federal Pell Grant funds you may receive over your lifetime is limited by federal law to be the equivalent of six full-time years of Pell Grant funding. If you are enrolled for a full-time the entire aid year and received a Pell Grant, you will receive 100% of Pell Grant that year. You cannot exceed 600% of Pell Grant received over the course of your undergraduate program (600% is an equivalent of 6 full-time aid years).

    Can I receive a Pell Grant as a Graduate Student?

    No. Federal Pell Grant can only go towards your first Bachelor’s Degree or in some non-degree programs.  Federal Pell Grant cannot go towards a graduate/professional degree.

    How can I maintain my eligibility for Federal Pell Grant?

    You have to be determined eligible for Federal Pell Grant through the FAFSA. The FAFSA must be completed every aid year.

    You must also maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). Satisfactory Academic Progress is a federal requirement to received federal student aid (Grants and Loans). Please refer to the Satisfactory Academic Progress section of our Policies page locate here.

    Your enrollment can impact your eligibility for Federal Pell Grant. Please contact our office if you decided to register less than full-time for a semester. We will be able to tell you how your enrollment will impact your Pell Grant.

    Federal Work-Study Program

    What is Federal Work-Study?

    Federal Work-study is a need-based grant that allows students to earn money towards their educational expenses. Students must work to in order to earn the funds. Workstudy does not pay towards tuition and fees.

    How do I qualify for Federal Work-Study?

    • Must first file a current & complete FAFSA application with no outstanding requirements
    • Must be enrolled & matriculated student (non-matriculated students do not qualify)
    • Students must have “unmet need” to qualify based on the FAFSA Application
    • SFS will award eligible students with FWS on their award letter. Students must be eligible for Title IV (Federal) Aid to qualify for Federal Work-study.
    • Students can also request to be reviewed for work-study by emailing

    How can I accept the work-study award?

    Students can accept their work-study offers on their Self-Service Banner via the Cost & Aid tab. We begin packaging aid offers for continuing/returning students mid-June.

    How do I find work-study positions?

    • On-Campus positions- Students can apply via TUPortal. There is a link for careers@temple on the left hand side of the portal. You should create a profile and upload a resume before applying for positions.
    • Off-Campus positions- Students can only use work-study at approved non-profits that have contracted with Student Financial Service. Students wanting to work off-campus should contact SFS at Students cannot work off-campus until the employer is approved by SFS & the appropriate I-9 & clearance documentation is completed.

    Off-Campus positions are posted via SFS’ website at:

    How many hours can I work with my Federal Work-Study job?

    • Student can only work up to 20 hours per week during the Fall/Spring Semester. Keep in mind you will have to monitor your work-study funding to ensure you have funding to cover your hours. Once funding is exhausted you need to touch base with your supervisor regarding continuing to work.
    • During the Summer Session students are allowed to work up to 40 hours per week if they have enough work-study funding to cover their wages.
    • Students are not permitted to work during their scheduled class hours. The only exception if is there is written notice that the class has been canceled.

    Can I request an increase if I need more funding to continue working for any given semesters?

    Students can request one increase per semester. Work-study increases are based on available funding and unmet need on the student’s aid account. Please note that borrowing large amounts of private or Parent Plus loans can affect the ability for us to post work-study on an account as we cannot exceed the Cost of Attendance set for each semester.

    Requests can be made via

    Can I request an increase if I need more funding to continue working for any given semesters?

    Students can request one increase per semester. Work-study increases are based on available funding and unmet need on the student’s aid account. Please note that borrowing large amounts of private or Parent Plus loans can affect the ability for us to post work-study on an account as we cannot exceed the Cost of Attendance set for each semester.

    Requests can be made via

    Can I use work-study for Summer semester?

    • Students who are registered for Summer session can request to be reviewed to have work-study added as part of their Summer Aid Package.
    • Students who are not attending Summer but are pre-registered for Fall should contact SFS at the end of April to be reviewed for Summer Work-study.
    • Summer Work-study students must have a valid FAFSA for the current aid year & the upcoming aid year.
    • Summer registration is not required but you must be pre-registered for the upcoming Fall Semester.
    • You must have “unmet” financial need both years and qualify for Federal Aid.
    • Students not meeting satisfactory academic progress cannot receive Federal Work-study.

    Does work-study pay my tuition and fees?

    No. Work-study students receive a bi-weekly paycheck. The work-study grant on your Financial Aid award does not go towards your tuition and fees. How much you earn is based on the award & hours worked.

    Do I receive a w-2 for my work-study position?

    Yes. Students working a Federal Work-study position in the University will receive a W-2 from Temple’s HR Department. You can view this via your TUPortal.

    Will I get charged FICA tax for my work-study position?

    FICA taxes are broken down into two parts: Social Security and Medicare. Temple University is required to withhold FICA taxes for all employees for whom it is applicable. To be FICA Exempt you must be enrolled in at least 6 credit hours Fall/Spring and at least 3 credit hours for Summer Session.

    Verification of Employment can be completed via Temple's HR Department

    The Work Number Client Service Center

    1-800-996-7566 (Voice)

    1-800-424-0253 (TTY – Deaf)

    Monday – Friday, 7:00 a.m.– 8:00p.m. (CST)


    Please note that HR cannot verify if the position was paid via Federal Work-study funding. For that piece you can email



    General Financial Aid FAQs

    I was admitted for the Spring 2021 semester. When can I expect my financial aid offer?

    Welcome to Temple! Spring 2021 admitted students that file the FAFSA will receive their financial aid offer in mid-November. Please review the information regarding Understanding Your Aid Offer on our website.

    what is the net price of attending temple?

    The net price can vary depending on your major, state of residency, housing selection, etc. Use the University's Tuition Calculator to estimate your costs based on your school/college (major), residence hall, and other information. You can also add your financial aid and resources to determine the overall net price.

    Estimated tuition and fees are updated annually each summer. Some or all instruction for all or part of the academic year may be delivered remotely. Tuition, the University Services Fee and certain other fees are set regardless of the method of instruction and will not be refunded in the event instruction occurs remotely for any part of the academic year.

    My family's financial circumstances have changed. what can i do?

    We accept appeals for a variety of circumstances. Students can send an email to using the subject line "Family Contribution Appeal." In the email, please outline what the change is and how much income has been lost. Due to funding limitations, appeals are only considered if the student is eligible for a federal Pell Grant as a result of the changes. Our office will review the information once it has been submitted and the next steps - or decision - sent via email. Please review the policy section of our website for information on the process and acceptable circumstances. The deadline for submitting an appeal for the 2020-2021 academic year is February 1, 2021. We are not yet accepting appeals for 2021-2022.

    I'm attending part-time this semester. how does this affect my aid?

    Students who attend less than full time (11 credits or less for undergraduate, 8.5 credits or less for graduates) will have their account manually reviewed to determine what aid they can receive. Parent PLUS, Graduate PLUS, and private loan amounts are all dependent upon a student's overall cost of attendance. When a student attends part-time, we need to adjust the costs based on the actual charges. These reviews generally occur after the add/drop period ends. More information regarding loans can be found on the Educational Loans section.

    Why didn't i receive grant funding?

    Temple University Grant funding is limited and never a guarantee. For more information on grant funding visit the Grants section of this website. 

    Graduate Student Loans

    What student loan options are available for Graduate students?

    Graduate students can navigate options available through the SFS Graduate Student section

    I accepted my Direct unsubsidized loan, but now I want to change the amount. How can I make changes to my loan amounts?

    Complete the Graduate Federal Loan Change Request form for the corresponding academic year. The Graduate Federal Loan Change Request form is located in the Forms Section of this website, and requires a hand written signature. Please follow the instructions on the form for how to submit, as our office is not able to accept forms via e-mail. Instructions to changing a certified Graduate Plus loan application may differ. Please see the question below. 

    How can I make changes to a Graduate Plus loan that has already been certified?

    To decrease or cancel a Graduate Plus loan, please complete and submit the Graduate Federal Loan Change Request form. This form is located in the SFS forms section. The Graduate Federal Loan Change Request form requires a handwritten signature. Please review the instructions on the form for how to submit the completed form back to SFS. 

    To increase a certified Graduate Plus loan, if a student's Plus loan credit check has not expired, they can submit the Graduate Federal Loan Change Request form to SFS. If a student's credit check has expired, they will need to apply again through, and submit the Graduate Federal Loan Change Request form to inform SFS of the request. Please note, increases are subject to federal limitation requirements. For more information on financial aid eligibility, students can navigate the Non-need based aid section of the SFS site

    When will my loan disburse?

    Financial aid disbursement for the term can begin approximately two business days prior to the first day of the university's main part of term for students who meet all eligibility requirements (which includes enrollment, completed requirements, good academic standing, etc). Students can review the SFS Policy section for more information on disbursement of financial aid. 

    I was denied the Graduate Plus loan, what are my options?

    If a credit check from the Graduate Plus loan application results in a denial, students have the option of pursuing an endorser for the Plus loan, or appealing the denial with the Department of Education. Please review the following information from the Department of Education regarding these options. 

    If I use an endorser for the Graduate Plus loan, what requirements do I need to do?

    Students who have obtained an Endorser for their Graduate Plus loan application must complete the Plus Credit Counseling, in addition to signing a Plus Master Promissory Note. These requirements are completed by logging into with your Federal Student Aid ID. Students with endorsed applications who want to increase their Plus loan for the academic year must submit an additional application through with their endorser. If the endorser is approved for the additional amount, please contact SFS regarding any additional approved endorsed application. 

    What are Temple's loan term dates?

    • Fall/Spring (required): August 24, 2020 to April 26, 2021
    • Fall only (graduating after fall or studying abroad): August 24, 2020 to December 16, 2020
    • Spring only (spring new student or studying abroad): January 11, 2021 to April 26, 2021
    • Summer 2021 Loans: Please submit your requests after you have registered for summer.
      • Summer I only: May 2021 to June 2021
      • Summer II only: June 2021 to August 2021
      • Summer I and II: May 2021 to August 2021



    How do I view my student refund information?

    Accessing Student Choice Refunds in TUpay students can access Student Choice Refunds within TUpay and select their refund option as soon as they pay a deposit to the University:  

    • Access TUportal
    • Select Student Tools
    • Select “TUpay” under Student Accounts
    • Select Student Choice Refunds

    How do I set up Direct Deposit?

    Direct Deposit can be set up via Student Choice Refunds within your TUPay account in the Cost & Aid tab of TUPortal.

    How can I check the status of a paper check that was not received?

    If you were sent a paper refund check and have not received it first check the mailing address you have listed via your TUPortal. If you have an incorrect mailing address correct it.  Please note we cannot reissue a paper check even if you correct the address.

    Go to Student Choice Refunds via  TUpay- Cost and Aid tab.

    Update your account to include your direct deposit information.

    Email us at and we can review to see if the check was cashed or not.

    What is the process of returning a refund?

    Student and Parent Plus loan refunds are processed by our servicer NELNET. The funding is not onsite at Temple University. 

    • If the refund was a result of the Direct Student Loan, Direct Parent Plus loan or a Private Loan you must submit a Loan Change Form to our office to let us know how much of the funding you want to return.  We cannot move forward until this is done first.
    • If the refund was from another source, we will first need to review to see what the process will be. Please email us at for this review.
    • Paper Refund Checks must be endorsed and signed over to Temple University. Temple cannot cash this check since it is in your name and the funding is at NELNET and not at Temple.
    • This check should be sent to the Bursar Office and not student Financial Services. Please note if you are returning a loan you should include a copy of your loan change form with the check.
    • DO NOT VOID the check.  If you VOID the check and send it to Temple we will not be able to cash it since the funding is at NELNET. 
    • Uncashed checks from NELNET take 90 days to return to Temple University. We cannot expedite that process.

    If you received the refund via Direct Deposit you can pay it back to Temple via TUPay.  Before you do so contact us via We must put up a refund suppression to stop the refund from going back out.  If you do not contact us , the overnight refund process will pick up the refund and send it back out to you.

    I am a parent. How do I sign up for direct deposit for my Parent Plus Loan refund?

    • First login to TUPay under your account (not your students)  via 
    • Select TUpay Student Choice Refunds and you will be taken directly into the direct deposit system.  Follow the steps below to complete the process.
    • Select ‘Manage My Student Choice Refunds Account’
    • Under ‘Refund Method’ select ‘Edit Refund Method’
    • You will receive an ‘Authentication Code’ in your Temple email account
    • Enter the Authentication code number and click submit
    • Select ‘Bank Account (Direct Deposit)’ and enter the required information




    Scholarships and Grants

    How can I apply for the broad street finish line Grant?

    Upper class (junior and seniors) undergraduate students can apply for the Broad Street Finish Line Grant by completing this form. This is a Google Form, so make sure you are signed into your Temple account in the same browser.

    i received an email that I am no longer eligible for my scholarship. What can I do?

    Please read over the University's Academic Merit Policy posted to our Policies webpage. You can appeal the scholarship adjustment by completing this form. There is no guarantee the funding can be reinstated.

    How can i appeal the amount of my scholarship?

    Temple University's Office of Undergraduate Admission extends all undergraduate Academic Merit Scholarship offers. If you have questions, contact their office directly. 

    Temple CARES Act Grant

    What is the CARES Act?

    The Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act was passed by Congress with overwhelming, bipartisan support and signed into law by President Trump on March 27, 2020. The CARES Act provides stimulus and financial support to many sectors of the economy, including higher education. A portion of the funding package earmarked for colleges and universities is explicitly directed to provide emergency grants to students who were impacted by the disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 health emergency.

    Who is eligible?

    Current degree-seeking students who were enrolled in on-campus classes during the spring 2020 semester (as of March 13, 2020) and are eligible to receive federal financial aid are eligible to request CARES Act funds. Students who meet these criteria must also confirm that they incurred expenses related to the disruption of campus operations.

    If you have not filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and feel you are eligible for federal financial aid, you still have time to complete the FAFSA: Once you complete the FAFSA, continue to review your financial aid requirements in the Costs and Aid tab of your TUportal because you might have student eligibility requirements to complete before you can request CARES Act funding.

    In accordance with guidance from the U.S. Department of Education, international and undocumented students are not eligible to receive CARES Act grants. Please also note that any students who were enrolled in online-only programs prior to the suspension of in-person teaching are not eligible for CARES Act grants.

    While we understand that each and every student has experienced an upheaval of their day-to-day life as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, we want to ensure that students with the most need are prioritized for these emergency funds. For this reason, students who received Federal Pell Grants for the spring 2020 semester are being automatically awarded CARES Act grants.

    How will the eligible Federal Pell grant recipients receive information on their CARES Act grant eligibility?

    Federal Pell grant recipients who are eligible for CARES Act funding will see a $800 grant disbursed to their student account on Tuesday May 12, 2020 and the refund will begin to generate by Wednesday May 13, 2020. The Office of Student Financial Services will also email all Federal Pell grant recipients on Tuesday May 12, 2020 to advise that the funding has been disbursed. And you can visit TUpay Student Choice Refunds (Costs & Aid Tab in TUportal) for the status of your refund.

    Federal Pell grant recipients who are eligible for CARES Act funding also received an additional $200 grant disburse to their student account on Thursday May 28, 2020. The refund generated and an email notification was sent.

    Eligibile Federal Pell grant recipients that are matriculated students at Temple Japan will also see the $1000 USD grant disbursed to their student account, however it will take a few more days for the disbursement to be finalized and the standard currency conversion to Yen. Temple Japan students will receive an email from the Office of Student Financial Services with more information.

    How can Temple students use emergency funds provided through the CARES Act?

    As required by the legislation, CARES Act funds may be used only to cover expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to coronavirus (this includes expenses such as food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and child-care expenses).

    How can students request funding?

    Students who are already eligible for federal financial aid based on their 2019-2020 FAFSA can apply for a CARES Act grant using an online form that will be available to eligible students in TUportal.

    The deadline to complete the TUportal form to request CARES Act funds is May 15, 2020.

    What expenses will be considered in a request for a CARES Act grant?

    Expenses you incurred as a result of the disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 health emergency, such as food, housing, course materials, technology, healthcare and child care. Here are some examples:

    • You lived on campus or used a meal plan and now you are experiencing housing or food insecurity.
    • You routinely used the computer labs to do your schoolwork, but now need a computer to continue your education remotely.
    • You needed to purchase Internet access for your home (including a “hotspot” or other equipment).
    • You received health services through Student Health Services and now need to seek treatment elsewhere that is not covered by your insurance.
    • The childcare center your dependent attended closed and you’ve had to hire alternative care so that you can continue your coursework.
    • You incurred transportation expenses returning home or storing your personal belongings because you could not return to campus to retrieve them.
    • You incurred nonrefundable expenses related to study abroad travel that was either cancelled or shortened unexpectedly.

    How much funding can I receive?

    Awards will be determined on a case-by-case basis and relative to available funding at the time of the request. Depending on the number of requests received, the expected minimum grant will be $400. Students will be notified of the exact amount in their TUportal student account (TUpay).

    When can I expect to receive the funds once I submit my request?

    Requests for CARES Act grants will be reviewed following the May 15, 2020 deadline. Once your request is reviewed and approved, you will see the grant disburse through your student account and processed as a refund. If you are already signed up for direct deposit, the funds will be deposited in your account within three to four days. If you are not registered for direct deposit through TUpay, you will receive a paper check in the mail to your permanent address on file with the university. Student Financial Services encourages all students who are eligible for CARES Act funding to sign up for direct deposit in order to receive the funds as quickly as possible.

    How will Temple determine which students will receive the funding and the amount of each grant?

    Under the CARES Act, institutions must identify students who have incurred expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Eligible students will be notified to complete the form in TUportal.  

    The amount of each grant will be determined on a case-by-case basis of need and the extent the loss of services impacted the student's continued pursuit of their education. The minimum grant will vary depending on the number of requests received,  and is expected to be about $400.

    CARES Act grants will be available on a first-come basis and so long as funds are available. Our intention is to assist as many students as possible while being sensitive to need, in accordance with the U.S. Department of Education's guidance. 

    Do I have to file the FAFSA to receive funding?

    Without the FAFSA on file, we have no way of knowing if you are eligible to participate in federal financial aid programs. The criteria for eligibility include but are not limited to: U.S. citizenship or eligible noncitizen; a valid Social Security number; registration with Selective Service (if the student is male); and a high school diploma, GED, or completion of high school in an approved homeschool setting. Additionally, the student must not be in default or in a loan overpayment and must be making satisfactory academic progress (SAP), or on an approved SAP appeal/plan. 

    If you do not have a FAFSA on file, we recommend you file the FAFSA now. We will review your financial aid file during the processing of the CARES Act grant request and may request additional documentation so that we can assist you to establish your eligibility.

    Can I appeal the outcome of the request?

    No, there are no appeals regarding the decision or the grant amount.

    Will the funding be applied against an existing balance owed to the University?

    No. The grant will be paid directly to you. It will disburse to your student account as a cash grant without regard to the balance owed. You will then receive direct payment in that amount, either by direct deposit or paper check. Under Department of Education guidance, the University may not apply the grant to your balance owed, even with your permission and request to do so. 

    Is other financial support available to students at this time?

    Temple is supporting students in need of financial aid relief in numerous ways. All students, regardless of CARES Act grant eligibility, are able to apply for emergency assistance.

    Broad Street Finish Line Grant

    Emergency Student Aid funding

    Please note that the Cherry Pantry continues to be open and operational at its temporary location in the Temple University Police Morgan Hall Substation at 1601 N. Park Ave., located on the side of Morgan Hall South.

    I am a student who received an emergency financial aid grant under section 3504, 18004, or 18008 of the CARES Act for unexpected expenses, unmet financial need, or expenses related to the disruption of campus operations on account of the COVID-19 pandemic.  Is this grant includible in my gross income?

    No.  Emergency financial aid grants under the CARES Act for unexpected expenses, unmet financial need, or expenses related to the disruption of campus operations on account of the COVID-19 pandemic, such as unexpected expenses for food, housing, course materials, technology, health care, or childcare, are qualified disaster relief payments under section 139 of the Internal Revenue Code.  This grant is not includible in your gross income.

    I received an emergency financial aid grant under the CARES Act and used some of it to pay for course materials that are now required for online learning because my college or university campus is closed.  Can I claim a tuition and fees deduction for the cost of these materials, or treat the cost of these materials as a qualifying education expense for purposes of claiming the American Opportunity Credit or the Lifetime Learning Credit?

    No.  Because the emergency financial aid grant is not includible in your gross income, you cannot claim any deduction or credit for expenses paid with the grant including the tuition and fees deduction, the American Opportunity Credit, or the Lifetime Learning Credit. See section 139(h) of the Internal Revenue Code.

    Temple University Final CARES Act required student allocation reporting.  

    Temple CARES Act institutional allocation reporting.

    Tuition Exchange Scholarships

    If my son or daughter is a current student at one of the member institutions in the Tuition Exchange, are they eligible for this scholarship?

    Whether or not a current student already enrolled in a college or university may be eligible for a Tuition Exchange Scholarship depends on the institution. Some colleges and universities will award scholarships to current students while others will not. Temple’s Tuition Exchange Scholarships will only be open to new, incoming first-year undergraduate students. Transfer students are not eligible for Temple’s Tuition Exchange Scholarships.  You should consult each member institution to determine their eligibility criteria and deadlines.

    Is this scholarship open to graduate and professional students at either Temple or membership institutions in the Tuition Exchange?

    Temple’s Tuition Exchange Scholarships are open to undergraduate students only.  Similarly, Temple will certify and support only the dependents of full-time faculty and staff members who are seeking Tuition Exchange Scholarships for undergraduate study.

    Do I have to do anything above and beyond submitting a Tuition Exchange EZ Application to be considered for this program?

    Yes!  Your dependent student must still follow the exact same admission and financial aid application process at either Temple or one of the member institutions within the Tuition Exchange. For students interested in Temple, that means completing a Common Application and a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by our February 1 deadline.

    Undergraduate Student Loans

    I accepted My Direct Loan(s), but I now want to change the amount. How can I make changes to my loan amounts?

    Students can complete the Undergraduate Federal Loan Change Request form for the corresponding academic year. The Undergraduate Federal Loan Change Request form is located on the Forms Section of this website, and requires a handwritten signature. Please follow the instructions on the form to submit, as our office is not able to accept forms via e-mail. 

    Why don't the amounts on my financial aid offer match the amounts listed on my TU pay account balance?

    The U. S. Department of Education charges a loan origination fee for the Federal Direct Subsidized and Federal Direct Unsubsidized loans. The loan fee is a percentage of the loan amount and is proportionally deducted from each loan disbursement. The percentage varies depending on when the loan is first disbursed. More information on the loan origination fee can be found on the Direct Subsidized loan and Unsubsidized loan site of Federal Student Aid. A student's loan amount on the financial aid offer is the full amount, or gross amount; the amount on your TU Pay account balance is the amount paid after the fee is deducted, the net amount. 

    I applied for a Private Loan, when will I receive the funds?

    Private loans are certified (i.e., reviewed and posted to an account) within 2-3 weeks of Temple SFS receiving the request. Periods of high processing volume, such as the start of the fall and spring semesters, can delay this process by an additional 2-3 weeks. Students should submit their loan requests at least 4-6 weeks prior to the start of an academic term to ensure the funds are received in time. Additionally, students should also be aware that we process loans for the full academic year. This means that we will take the amount requested and split it into two (2) payments - one for fall, and one for spring. The only exceptions to this policy are:

    • Students graduating at the end of the fall semester (please submit confirmation to our office)
    • Students attending a semester study away (please submit confirmation to our office)
    • Students admitted to Temple University - Japan Campus.
    • Students paying a prior year's balance. Requests submitted in January for the immediately preceding fall do not qualify as paying a prior balance.