Full-time Temple University faculty and staff members are eligible to apply for a limited number of Tuition Exchange Scholarships at more than 600 membership institutions. Tuition Exchange Scholarships are not the same as Tuition Remission, a benefit where faculty and staff members may receive tuition for their dependents. The process to be considered for a Tuition Exchange Scholarship is a highly competitive one and awards are determined not by Temple, but instead by Tuition Exchange member institutions.
Similarly, students whose parents are full-time faculty and staff members at the same membership institutions are eligible to apply for up to 10 Tuition Exchange Scholarships at Temple.
Temple’s scholarships are renewable for up to four years, providing a student is enrolled for eight consecutive full-time undergraduate semesters with no interruption and continues to meet the financial aid Satisfactory Academic Progress requirement.
Tuition Exchange Scholarships at Member Institutions
Timeline & Steps for Temple Faculty & Staff:
- If you are a full-time faculty or staff member, visit the Tuition Exchange website to determine if your dependent student is interested in one of the 600+ member institutions as a possible undergraduate college/university destination for the next fall term. If so, complete an online Tuition Exchange EZ Application by November 1.
- Ensure that your dependent student applies for admission and financial aid following the instructions and deadlines at the institutions of interest to your student. Most colleges and universities require the Common Application and Free Application for Federal Student Aid to be eligible for admission and financial aid but you should consult with the colleges and universities of your interest to determine their admission and financial aid requirements.
- Temple will consider and forward the Tuition Exchange EZ Applications for all eligible faculty and staff members to member institutions.
- If you are awarded a Tuition Exchange Scholarship, you will be notified once an admission and scholarship decisions have been made by the member institution.
Tuition Exchange Scholarships at Temple University
Timeline & Steps for Faculty & Staff at Member Institutions:
- If you are a full-time faculty or staff member at a college or university that participates in the Tuition Exchange program, complete a Tuition Exchange EZ Application by that institution’s deadline.
- Ensure that your dependent student submits the online Common Application and Free Application for Financial Aid (FAFSA) to Temple University by February 1 and ensure that their approved Tuition Exchange Scholarship application is complete by February 1. Graduate and professional school students are not eligible for this scholarship.
- If offered admission and selected for a Tuition Exchange Scholarship, you will be notified no later than April 1.
- Admitted students will be expected to commit to Temple University with a non-refundable enrollment deposit by May 1.
Temple’s Tuition Exchange Scholarships will be valued at Temple’s base tuition and will not cover housing, meals, fees, or other expenses, though students may still qualify for other forms of financial aid.
Tuition Exchange Scholarships at Member Institutions:
Full-time Temple University faculty and staff members who want to be considered for Tuition Exchange Scholarships must complete the online Tuition Exchange EZ Application. The deadline for consideration is November 1 for the following fall term. In early November, Temple will then forward the Tuition Exchange EZ Applications of eligible faculty and staff members to the appropriate member institutions for their consideration. Each member institution is responsible for setting their own scholarship criteria and scholarship amount.
A limited number of full-time faculty and staff members will benefit from the program annually. For Fall 2021, more than 100 faculty and staff applied for a very limited number of available scholarships (an expected 10 a year). Employment years of service to Temple was used as the criteria for selection. Faculty and staff who applied for consideration had years of service that ranged from 1 to 39 years of employment.
Tuition Exchange Scholarships at Temple University:
Full-time faculty and staff members at membership institutions within the Tuition Exchange may submit the Tuition Exchange EZ Application to their home institution. If certified and approved, the home institution will send Temple those applications for us to consider. The deadline for Temple to receive a Tuition Exchange EZ Application is February 1 for the following fall term. Temple will then review scholarship applications and notify recipients no later than April 1.
Temple will offer 10 Tuition Exchange Scholarships to incoming undergraduate first-year students who are the dependents of full-time faculty and staff members at member institutions. Graduate or professional school students are not eligible for this scholarship.
For more information, contact Karin W. Mormando, Director of Undergraduate Admissions, at [click-for-email]
Note: Tuition Exchange Scholarship applicants will no longer be eligible for consideration if their parent separates from the Tuition Exchange partner institution. Current Tution Exchange Scholarship recipients whose parents leave their place of employment at a partner institution will no longer be eligible to receive the scholarship funding, but will instead be repackaged with their original merit scholarship offer (if offered at the time of admission and meeting renewal requirements) before their Tuition Exchange Scholarship was awarded. Students will also be considered for additional need-based financial aid (provided they complete a FAFSA by our financial aid deadline of February 1). This is the same protocol for students whose parents are employed at Temple University and leave their position of employment at Temple. Contact [click-for-email] with questions.