If you do not meet any of the criteria to be considered an independent student on the FAFSA, or who are experiencing unusual or extenuating circumstances that prevent them from listing parental information can apply for a Dependency Override Appeal.
You can initiate this appeal through the following steps:
- The student should log into the SFS Dashboard.
- Click on the red 'Manage Requests' button in the upper right hand corner.
- Click on the button for a 2023-2024 Professional Judgment: Unusual Circumstance Appeal
- Provide a brief description of the change
- Complete and sign the embedded webform and submit all requested documentation.
Documentation related to the appeal will be requested once the appeal form is completed. We cannot accept this documentation via email or fax. The Dashboard is the most secure and fastest method to submit documentation to our office.
Appeals are reviewed on a case-by-case basis. If approved, it is important to note that the financial aid offer will likely not be enough funding to cover the cost to attend Temple University. It is very possible that additional funding will be needed to assist with the outstanding balance. You can review current year tuition rates via the Tuition Calculator linked to the Costs & Aid tab of TUPortal or at the Bursar's website.
The deadline for submitting a Dependency Override is the last day of classes each term.